Things you should know before writing a guest article
For those of you who are new to blogging and are desperately in need of promoting your blog and also looking for a quick way to do it, writing a guest article is the perfect solution. One of the key ways to get yourself on the map is get noticed by the key people. Writing a guest article in some of the popular blogs, not only puts you in the spot light, but when well written and executed perfectly, will bring in a lot of praises and huge addition to your subscriber list.
One of the main reasons why some of the blogs are popular today is due to guest articles. People normally write guest articles for publicity or for contributing to the community. Either way, its a win-win situation. At the end of the day, you get the reputation and satisfaction you need and the owner get to take his mind off the hook for a while before he needs to garner new ideas.
In this article, I have shared some of my opinions about what I think you should know before writing a guest article. I am entrusted to say that these opinions are from my perspective and they are the lessons I learnt as blogger and while writing guest articles in a few other blogs. In my next article, I shall be sharing some of my views on ‘What makes a great Guest article‘. Until then, I hope we can learn something here. So, Let us begin.
1) Do a thorough research
Before thinking of ideas to write a guest article, take a tour around the web to find out how many blogs are hosting guest authors or inviting guest articles. Once you find out, make a list of those blogs and take some time to browse through some of their articles and pick those which perfectly match your interest and expertise. Finding the right idea and the right inspiration takes a lot of hard work, but it surely pays off in the end.
Here are a few list of blogs that accept guest articles and are doing really great in terms of daily visits. They are ordered according to their PR. If you know more, please add them in the comment section and I shall add them here:
2) Get your blog ready
Pretty soon, you will be writing a guest article in the blogs you’ve listed and people are definitely going to visit your site for more information about you. So make sure, you blog is up to date with relevant information.
Well, in particular, you need to ensure that your blog has :
- Quality posts
- A good design
- Links to your presence in other social networks
- Subscription options
- Contact Page
3)Ask before you leap
The fact is that there are so many young authors like you who are interseted in writing guest articles and are trying to make themselves known to a bigger community. So, all their posts will not be accepted. This may be because they get many requests of guest articles, or maybe they accept guest posts only from people they know, because this is a way to make sure they do not deviate from the niche content then always provide. Some of the times, it may be due to the fact that your ideas on the guest article may not suit their readers. The best thing to do is to contact the Blog’s Owner and let him know that you are interested in writing for their blog.
Here are a few guidelines that you should remember while sending out the mail :
- Introduce yourself and let them know that you have thoroughly browsed through some of their articles and found it interesting and that you would love to contribute to their blog and the community.
- Do not hesitate to share your ideas with them and ask for their opinions about it. Maybe they will chip in some of their cool ideas as well. After all, who knows their blog better?
- Provide links to some of your blog’s popular articles so that they get an idea about your writing style and content.
- Let them know how they can benefit from your article. Always be humble and respect the fact that ‘you’ are asking for the opportunity.
- Do not forget to add a proper subject in the email. There are many spam mails that is flooding our in-boxes everyday, so there are chances that your mail might go unnoticed.
- Keep the body of the mail short and succinct. Try to give out the main idea as quickly as possible.
- In case if you do not get a reply within a few days, send a friendly remainder just in case they might have forgotten to see your mail. If you do not get a reply even then, it is safe to assume that they aren’t interested in any guest articles at the moment.
4) Get Noticed
The important thing to note here is that once you send the mail, you can pretty much surely expect the owner to visit your blog. So, it’s a good idea to get yourself and your blog noticed by the blogs’ owners before you contact them. Here are a few prerequisites that you should follow before mailing them.
- Try to visit their blog on a regular basis and read some of the good articles you can find in it. This can usually be found in the ‘Popular articles’ List.
- Always provide valuable comments and make sure you do this regularly. This will surely help you in gaining their attention.
- Try to write an article on your blog and provide relevant links to some of their articles. Not only will they appreciate you for the mention but it might also lead them to add a few links to your articles whenever necessary.
- While sending them an email them, let them know how much you like their blog and that, it has been a great source of inspiration to you and your articles.
- Create a signature that reflects your profession or your blog and add it your mail clients.
I recently added a email signature into my gmail client and I got a good response for it. Adding a signature not only elevates your professionalism but also makes others believe that you are really serious about your requests/offers.Read about the art and importance of having a email signature here, a really good article over at Smashing Magazine, and it is a guest post :)
Here is a little tutorial on how to create an elegant signature and add it to your mails.
- This works only if you are using Chrome as your web browser. First, download the extension – Black Canvas GMail Signatures
- Visit the Online HTML editor and create a signature. Visit Marco’s article for a detailed tutorial on how to do this.
- Get the source(html) code of the signature and open GMail. Click on Compose mail and click on the icon that says ‘Edit Signature’, and Paste the html code from the online editor and Save it. This will automatically add a signature to your future mails.
5) To write or not write
Sometimes, we tend to unintentionally write articles without being aware of the fact that similar articles have already been written in other blogs. Remember, you are writing articles for bigger blogs than yours which has a better readership area. So, if you commit a small blunder, your reputation is at stake. Try to search for articles which you think is conflicting you ideas and thoughts. Try to deviate from them as much as possible.
Don’t forget to check out the amazing article over at OneExtraPixel : A complete guide to writing a Guest Article. It has some really valuable information.
Here are a few dark areas(Thanks to quickonlinetips) that will surely black list your presence in the community. Try not to delve into this area.
- Sponsored/paid articles and links.
- Previously published by you in same/modified form on your/any other site.
- Self promotional articles for your product/service.
- Promoting individual products/services/companies.
- Containing affiliate links / Sponsored links.
- Containing irrelevant links.
- Hidden info/Misrepresentation of facts and figures.
- Fake author info (nicknames are OK though)
- Copied and modified articles from any site.
- Inappropriate / abusive language
- Defamatory content / suggestion
- Linking out to banned sites / adult sites.
- Copyrighted content
Well, that’s about it. In my next article, I will share some of my views on ‘How to effectively write a Guest Article that stands out‘. Until then, you can get prepared. Good Luck and Happy blogging :)
Also, I am happy to announce that I am accepting guest articles in this blog. You can just mail me your thoughts and ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org or you can use the contact form and I shall definitely publish them, provided it follows the above points. I will be more than happy if you are interested in contributing. Together, we can make the design world a better place to live in. Just click on the image below and mail us. We will get back to you shortly.
You can check out some of the guest articles that was previously published in this blog. I try my best to make sure my guest authors get all the attention and appreciation they deserve. After all, without guest writers, we cannot manage growth and social networking alone. Its hard to notice but its all because of the community, we are able to get motivated everyday to produce great content.
Alex Di Giovanni: Create a Retro Futuristic Typography
Tom Walker : 30 Logo Designs with creative use of negative space
Mohammad Jeprie : Create a slick External Hard disk in Photoshop
So, what are your thoughts about this article? Do you feel there is anything else one should know before writing a guest article? Please feel free to share some of your experiences in this regard. Thank you and Good Luck!